- There are basically two chemical forms
of cocaine: the hydrochloride salt and "freebase."
is classified as a Schedule 2 Controlled Substance under the federal Controlled
Substances Act and is illegal in most circumstances.
The negative side effects of habitual cocaine use that was responsible for coining
the phrase, "dope fiend".
1994, cocaine-related episodes comprised 28% of all emergency room drug-related
- Street names: blow, 'caine,
coke, cola, freeze, snow (powder), base, rock (crack), blizzard, sleet, white
lady, nose candy, soda, snow cone, blanco, cubes.
Texas, 200-300 cocaine overdose deaths are reported each year.
number of Americans that use cocaine weekly has remained steady at around a half
million since 1983 according to the 1993 Household Drug Survey; 582,000 (0.3%
of the population) were frequent cocaine users in 1995 (frequent meaning use on
51 or more days during the past year.
raises body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Even one use causes heart
palpitations or cardiac arrest.
is psychologically addictive and research indicates possible physical addiction.
- Young single people are the most frequent
users of cocaine, with male users outnumbering female users two to one.
18 to 25 years old have a higher rate of current cocaine use than those in any
other age group.
- Cocaine is a drug
extracted from the leaves of the coca plant (Erythroxlon coca) which grows in
- Cocaine users will lose
interest in their family, sex, jobs, just about everything, except using more
Complete the form below and a drug treatment counselor will respond to your request shortly.
- Drug Facts
- Cocaine raises body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Even one use causes heart palpitations or cardiac arrest.
- The negative side effects of habitual cocaine use that was responsible for coining the phrase, "dope fiend".
- Smoking marijuana decreases blood flow to the brain.
- When smoked, crack reaches the brain within seconds, producing instant effects which last eight to fifteen minutes.