- Typically, a heroin abuser may inject up to four
times a day.
- Smoking and sniffing heroin
do not produce a "rush" as quickly or as intensely as intravenous injection,
NIDA researchers have confirmed that all three forms of heroin administration
- Over 80% of heroin
users inject with a partner, yet 80% of overdose victims found by paramedics are
- Heroin accounts for the
majority of the illicit opiate abuse in America.
to the National Household Survey for 1994, 2.2 million Americans have tried heroin;
191,000 had used it in the previous 30 days.
variability in quality of street heroin can range from 0-90%, which greatly increases
the risk of accidental overdose and death.
potent pain-relieving properties may actually conceal symptoms of real physical
illness or disease such as pneumonia and delay treatment.
studies suggest a shift from injecting to snorting or smoking heroin because of
increased purity and the misconception that these forms of use will not lead to
- Heroin is processed from
morphine, a naturally occurring substance extracted from the seed-pod of the Asian
- Heroin usually appears
as a white or brown powder.
names associated with heroin include "smack," "H," "skag,"
and "junk." Other names may refer to types of heroin produced in a specific
geographical area, such as "Mexican black tar."
to DAWNs Year End 1998 Emergency Department Data, 14 percent of all emergency
department drug-related episodes had mentions of heroin/morphine in 1998.
abuse is associated with serious health conditions, including fatal overdose,
spontaneous abortion, collapsed veins, and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS
- In addition to the effects
of the drug itself, street heroin may have additives that do not readily dissolve
and result in clogging the blood vessels that lead to the lungs, liver, kidneys,
or brain. This can cause infection or even death of small patches of cells in
Complete the form below and a drug treatment counselor will respond to your request shortly.
- Drug Facts
- Cocaine raises body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Even one use causes heart palpitations or cardiac arrest.
- There are basically two chemical forms of cocaine: the hydrochloride salt and "freebase."
- Withdrawal from heroin should be over after seven to ten days. Withdrawal from methadone though, can take up to a month or even longer.
- Alcohol- is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream from the small intestine, and less rapidly from the stomach and colon. In proportion to its concentration in the bloodstream, alcohol decreases activity in parts of the brain and spinal cord.