- OxyContin, approved by the FDA in 1995,
is a time-released form of oxycodone, an opium derivative, which is the same active
ingredient in Percodan and Percocet.
powerful prescription pain reliever has become a hot new street drug that has
resulted in more than 120 deaths nationwide.
of OXY has as much active ingredient (oxycodone) as One percocet.
has been referred to as "hillbilly heroin" or "the poor man's heroin."
marketed by Purdue Pharma L.P., has been linked to addiction, suffering and death
of patients using this prescription painkiller.
and abuse of the drug, crime and fatal overdoses have all been reported as a result
of OxyContin use.
is intended for use by terminal cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers.
has been reported that OxyContin's sales exceeded $1 billion in the United States
in the year 2000.
- Purdue Pharma temporarily
suspended shipment of OxyContin in 160 mg dosages to help curb abuse.
pharmacists and law-enforcement officials say that the manufacturer of OxyContin
has overpromoted the benefits and utility of the drug without providing enough
warning about the potential for abuse.
abusers either crush the tablet and ingest or snort it or dilute it in water and
- Individuals addicted to
OxyContin will crush or dilute the tablet to override the time-release action of
the medication which causes a quick, powerful high.
profits are being made in the illegal sale of OxyContin. A 40-milligram pill costs
approximately $4 by prescription, but it may sell for $20 to $40 on the street,
depending on the area of the country in which the drug is sold.
like OxyContin and heroin block pain messengers to the brain and central nervous
- Oxycontin increases the amount
of dopamine in the brain which causes increased feelings of pleasure and euphoria.
addiction creeps up on the individual until acquiring the drug becomes a full
time obsession affecting friends, family, career, kids, finances and possibly
involving the police.
Complete the form below and a drug treatment counselor will respond to your request shortly.
- Drug Facts
- Methadone is a synthetic drug. It was first invented in Germany during the Second World War by scientists who, having discovered pethidine some years earlier, were developing other similar compounds.
- Cocaine users will lose interest in their family, sex, jobs, just about everything, except using more cocaine.
- Marijuana is classified as a "psychotropic" or "psychoactive" drug and is highly addictive for some individuals.
- Smoking marijuana decreases blood flow to the brain.